FINALLY getting around to sharing my favorite green smoothie recipe! 😜 It's from a recipe that I found and I tweaked it quite bit to my liking! :) I have one pretty much every morning and it makes me feel a lot better knowing I at least got some fruits, veggies and dark leafy greens in!
I know you've been preached at your whole life about eating more fruits and veggies but it's really SO true! Extensive research has been done and it's been proven that getting enough fruits, veggies and dark leafy greens can really improve your health!
Most of yall know I'm in school to become a Registered Dietitian! My whole motivation is that I want to be an "expert" in food and nutrition so that I can really be a source of help for people BEFORE they are sick. I don't understand why we wait until people are sick and dying to really stress to them the importance of taking care of yourself through food and exercise! Maybe part of it has to do with us not wanting to listen!! I know I'm guilty of that. 🙋🏻♀️ Even being in school learning about health and wellness I found myself not truly taking care of myself at times! It can be hard! I totally get it.
**Good for you ingredients:
Mango: a GREAT source of vitamin C and vitamin A! 3/4 a cup of mango is 50% of the daily recommended amount! Vitamin C is a MUST!! Not only does it help your immune system, it can help you get over a cold faster, and since it's an antioxidant it's key player in fighting free radicals (which damage cells) in your body! Vitamin C also helps your body make collagen! Vitamin A is great for eye health and your reproductive system! It is also important to the functions of your heart, kidneys and your lungs!
Spinach: is a great source vitamin K! Vitamin K plays an important role in keeping your bones healthy and helps with blood clotting. Vitamin K also helps your body absorb Iron! We learned in school that to help you better absorb the iron from your steak you should eat it with dark leafy greens- like kale or spinach!
Bananas: are a great source of potassium. Potassium is important for your heart, kidneys, muscle contraction and bone health! Ever had a charley horse?! You might need to up your potassium intake and drink more water!
Ginger: I use so little ginger in my smoothie that it really doesn't add much nutritionally. Ginger does however contain some vitamin C and potassium.
Lemon: another great source of vitamin C!
Turmeric: is thought to help reduce inflammation in the body.
Avocados: are PACKED full of vitamins and nutrients that your body needs! They are also a great source of potassium. Adding the good fat from avocado also helps the body to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins in this smoothie- like vitamins A & K!
*My favorite Green Smoothie Recipe:
Makes 2 (12 ounce-ish) smoothies
20 oz of water
2 cups spinach
1 cup frozen mango
1 large celery stick
sliver of fresh ginger (or more to your liking)
juice of half a lemon
1/4- 1/2 tsp of ground turmeric
* Sometimes I add 1/4 cup of frozen avocado to add some creaminess & for the good fats to help keep me fuller longer!
- Chop the celery into small 1/2 - 1 inch pieces to make for a smoother smoothie!
- Use more ripe bananas for a sweeter taste.
- I like to freeze my spinach to keep it from going bad!
- I prep my smoothies every week in baggies and keep them in the freezer!
- I also l like to make my smoothies the day before and keep them in glass jars in the fridge.
1. Fill blender with 20 oz of water, add all ingredients and blend for a few minutes until smooth. I like to start at medium speed and then high. If your smoothie seems to thick just add more water!
2. Divide smoothie between a cup and a jar (or 2 jars). I typically drink one immediately and put a lid on the other and store it in the fridge for tomorrow!
*Sometimes I like to try and make my mornings easier and I will prep my smoothie the night before. I will put them both in glass jars with lids and store them in the fridge!
If you try this recipe please let me know what you think about it and I'd love to see your recreations! Please tag me on Instagram! :D